The Bryan County Children’s Fund Empty Stocking Program is dedicated to making the holidays brighter for needy families in Bryan County. The program is administered by Bryan County Family Connection and consists of collaborative volunteers who work tirelessly to ensure that every child in Bryan County has gifts to open on Christmas morning.
With help from the Bryan County community, including local businesses, churches, social service agencies, and the school system, the group is able to provide Christmas gifts to over 600 children, including our local foster children, each year. Applications are distributed and referrals are taken from local agencies. Families are eligible for assistance based on their financial need and other hardships.
Resources are stream-lined through donations and sponsorships. Bryan County citizens can help by adopting a child for Christmas, making a direct monetary donation, or donating new, unused clothes and toys to the organization.
Each child receives at least one new outfit, jacket, underwear, pajamas, socks and shoes, as well as age-appropriate toys and gifts from their wish list. Committee volunteers shop, sort, bag, and distribute the gifts.
The Santa Scramble
The single largest fundraiser for the Bryan County Children’s Fund Empty Stocking Program is the Good Ol’ Boys Santa Scramble Golf Tournament. The tournament, held each November, has been raising funds to help disadvantaged children and needy families for over twenty years. Each dollar raised from the tournament goes to support the mission of Bryan County Children’s Fund.
Organized by the Good Ol’ Boys of Richmond Hill, the tournament has become a local tradition and is played in memory of John Stevens. Since the inception of the golf tournament over twenty years ago, the Good Ol’ Boys have donated over $300,000 to help needy children in Bryan County have gifts for Christmas.
How Can You Help?
There are many ways to get involved!
- “Adopt a child” for Christmas—Sponsor a specific child by purchasing clothes, jacket, undies, pj’s, socks and shoes and appropriate toys.
- Host an “Angel Tree” at your church, organization, or place of business. We provide the “angels” with specific information for your friends and co-workers to take.
- Monetary donations are always welcome. Donations are used to shop for children who are not “adopted out” or placed on an angel tree.
- Donate new clothing items such as packs of socks and underwear. We help kids of all shapes and sizes!
- Donate new toys and gifts. We often need gifts for older kids (ages 12 and up) such as movies, sports equipment, body wash and lotions, wallets, hats, makeup, and other age-appropriate items.
- Volunteer to help us shop, sort, bag, or distribute gifts!